PRESIDING BISHOP MARSHALL CARTER, was given the name Junior Carter at his birth on August 17, 1920. He was born in Lilburn (Gwinnett County), GA to the late Mr. Marshall Carter & Mrs. Lemma Carter. “Junior”, in his early life, worked on his father’s farm. Later became a trained mechanic, a Mason, a veteran of the United States Marine Corps (World War II), retired from Rheem Manufacturing Corporation where he was the secretary of the AFL-CIO and also retired from General Motors Corporation. His name was changed to “Marshall” (like his father), upon joining the Marines.
His life was forever changed while working at Briarcliff Laundry. There he met the woman that he referred to as his “other self”, the late Mother Lillie Fanning Carter. They were joined in Holy Matrimony on November 9, 1940. To this union, four children were born: (1) Patricia Carter Logan, (2) Dr. Larry Carter, (3) Dr. Myra Carter Warner, and (4) Jayetta Carter-McFarlin.
Bishop Carter came into holiness in 1952 at the Jones Avenue Church of God in Christ, under the leadership of the late Bishop George Briley. He served faithfully as an Ordained Deacon, a Sunday School Superintendent and the Guitarist. He accepted his call into the ministry in 1956. Minister & Sister Carter (then) established and organized the Lynwood Park Church of God in Christ on January 15, 1959 and he was ordained as an Elder in March, 1959. In 1962, under his leadership, the Lynwood Park Church erected their first church building. In 1974, Bishop Briley appointed him as the Superintendent of the Lynwood Park District. In 1976, the “old” Lynwood Park Church building was torn down and the current facility was erected and completed in 1977. In 1979, (still using the title “Superintendent”) he organized and incorporated the Church of God in Christ Incorporated of Georgia as an Independent Fellowship that would “report to” and remain under the authority of the Church of God in Christ, headquartered in Memphis, TN. By the end of 1979, pastors from other states wanted to join his organization. Through much prayer, God led him and his wife to break “ties” with the “Memphis Body” and establish a Reformation that would bring “Unity” to the Body of Christ. In obedience to God, the Church of God in Christ Incorporated of Georgia was dissolved and the United Churches of God in Christ, Inc. was formed. On January 1, 1980, Superintendent Marshall Carter was elevated to the Bishopric and formally installed as the first Chief Apostle & Presiding Bishop of the United Churches of God in Christ, Inc.
Bishop Marshall Carter was a man of God, whose objectives were: (1) to preach the gospel and stimulate spiritual growth; (2) to enhance and maintain “his portion” in God’s vineyard, and (3) to reach lost and wandering sheep, in an effort to bring them into “the fold”.
On Sunday morning, June 22, 2003, while preparing to go to Sunday school, he sat down in his favorite chair and made his triumphant entrance into his heavenly home.
Elder Leon Wright Sr. & First Lady Yvonne (Brown) Wright assisted the church through the first transitional periods of 2005 through 2008. Today, Elder Frankie L. Roberts & Evangelist Inez (Williams) Roberts are ensuring the foundation of our leaders remains strong.